Samantha Nilsen Pungprakearti is a California employment law attorney working to resolve employment disputes for employees and employers. She graduated Cum Laude from Golden Gate University School of Law and Cum Laude from Sonoma State University. She has devoted her entire legal career to righting employment wrongs.
Samantha has handled an impressive variety of employment law cases, fighting for and achieving justice for hundreds of clients. Samantha was recognized as a “Rising Star” in the field of employment law in the 2013 and 2014 edition of California Super Lawyers Magazine.
Her achievements include:
- A six-figure settlement for disabled employees who were denied reasonable accommodations and prohibited from working.
- A large settlement for an employee who was fired for taking pregnancy disability leave.
- A multi-million dollar settlement for a class action representing employees who were not paid minimum wage.
- Successfully representing employees at Unemployment Insurance Appeal Board Hearings.
- Arguing a case before the Department of Labor Standards Enforcing which resulted in an award of 100% of the damages sought.
- A six-figure settlement for a stock option contract dispute.
Samantha displays her expertise as a California labor and employment law attorney by selecting the right claims, negotiating disputes with employers, and aggressively litigating suits in court if necessary. She prides herself on helping employees to recover that which has been unjustly taken from them, and her areas of experience include:
- Wage and hour claims, such as improper classification of employees as independent contractors.
- When employees are not paid for lunch or rest periods or are denied accurate earning statements, she aggressively fights for their wages.
- Discrimination claims including disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, national origin, age, HIV status, and membership in other protected classes.
- Retaliation claims, which occur when an employer penalizes an employee for complaining about working conditions, reporting a violation to the government, or filing a lawsuit.
Samantha also adeptly handles breach of contract disputes, libel and slander, assault and battery claims, invasion of privacy and a diverse variety of other legal issues. Employees are often entitled to lost wages, punitive damages, emotional distress payments, attorney’s fees, and court costs. Samantha is a zealous California employment law attorney who strives to recover every penny of damages to which her clients are entitled. Samantha worked for Sommers Employment Law Group, P.C., under the tutelage of Steve Sommers, Esq. for six and a half years before going out on her own.
Samantha was born in Petaluma, California and raised in the Bay Area. She went to high school at Novato High School, attended Santa Rosa Junior College and Napa Valley Community College where she obtained her Paralegal Certificate. Samantha worked at the Marin County District Attorney’s Office as an administrative employee for two years before going back to finish her undergraduate degree at Sonoma State University, where she majored in Political Science. She then obtained her Juris Doctorate degree at Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco, California.
Samantha is admitted to practice before all superior courts in California and the Northern and Eastern Districts of California. Samantha is a member of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA), Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF) and San Mateo Bar Association.
When she’s not fighting for her clients, Samantha enjoys spending time with her husband and baby boy, volunteering with local organizations, cheering for tennis and taking bike rides around the beautiful Bay Area.
- J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, CA–Cum Laude
- B.A., Sonoma State Univeristy, CA–Cum Laude
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice:
- Northern, Eastern, Central, and Southern Federal District Courts of California
Awards and Recognitions:
- California Super Lawyers—2013, 2014, 2015 Rising Star
- California Employment Lawyers Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Bar Association of San Mateo